Sunday 1 August 2010

London - Not Exactly Disabled Friendly

A few weeks back I won a competition to visit the new London Olympic Site during its 2 year countdown celebrations... This turned out to be a wonderful experience, something I'll cover in my next blog posting.  However, I wanted to share the experience of getting to London and then making our way to the site because it was probably the most tiring and frustrating thing I've done....



Travelling from Fleet train station to Waterloo was simple.  I've done this a thousand times when I worked in London.  If I know I'm going to need support then I can phone ahead to National Rail and arrange assisted travel.  I usually do this if I've got to make a connection at a large station like Waterloo or Birmingham New Street, even more so if I am carrying luggage.


For this journey, I was meeting my friend at Waterloo and then we were travelling on the tube and DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to our end destination Pudding Mill Lane.


At the time we were going, the route was this - Waterloo Underground - Bank Underground - Bank DLR - Poplar DLR - Pudding Mill DLR


Most of it was fairly simple, signs were easy to follow but the bit between Bank underground and Bank DLR was a nightmare... You had an esculator that took you from Waterloo train station to Waterloo underground station but for Bank it was numerous flights of stairs and long corridors.  Add to this people who walk along with blinkers, that you either have to dodge (and for someone with RA dodging is very painful) or bump into (elbows come in handy for this).... it all gets rather tiring....


When you finally reach the platform and get on the tube, you're jammed packed like sardines.  You desperately look round for a seat, feet burning and no matter how hard you try, no-one will give you eye contact.  Some even close their eyes pretending to snooze.  


Seeing the signs above the seats, stating "Priority seat for the disabled, pregnant or those less able to stand" I look to approach someone sat in one, most of them men. Again, they don't engage eye contact, some have headphones in & those that don't, when asked, don't appear to understand English.


So here's my dilemma, do I prod them and gesture them to allow me to sit or do I stand there feeling the fire in my feet.  I end up standing there, sweating profusely, wanting the journey to come to an end...


Luckily for us, the next couple of trains had plenty of seats and our feet reaped the benefits....


We ended up having a beautiful day, completely overwhelmed by the Olympic site, which incidently is going to be fully accessible when completed (and the parts we saw were already accessible) 


Our journey home was a little easier with seats being available but even then, being packed into the tube was like being cooked alive, everyone rushing, pushing past... The underground is certainly no place for a disabled person....


Even if people did start being more aware and didn't push, shove, hog seats, I think we'd always have this.....



It has got me thinking though, with the London 2012 only 2 years away, how will disabled people manage with getting to the games?  We know from our day there that no cars will be allowed on site, with the exception of press although there will be some parking for disabled, it may be on a first come, first served basis.  

There will be buses that will operate on a park & ride system but how much will parking be, and if you are able to use your disabled badge, you can really only do so for a maximum of 3hrs.

For those that decide to use public transport such as trains, will they face the same problems we did? Bear in mind, we visited the Olympic Park before its even opened, and on a fairly quiet weekend.  What will it be like during the Olympics?

London 2012 also want Games Makers  (volunteers to support during the games) from all walks of life, including people with disabilities and while they will pay for travelling costs, will those with disabilities face the same obstacles?

I would very much like to be part of London 2012, either enjoying the games, or supporting behind the scenes... My journey into London though has made me have second thoughts....

If I find any answers, I'll let you know....



1 comment:

  1. The three hours rule only applies when you need to use the clock part of the badge though, otherwise it's unlimited.

    ReplyDelete